What are cookies and what are they used for?
A cookie is a file that is downloaded to your computer, tablet, smartphone or any other device when you access certain websites. Cookies enable a website to, among other things, store and collect information on the browsing habits of a particular user or his or her device. In addition, depending on the information contained in the cookies and the way in which the device is used, cookies may also be used to recognise the user. Under no circumstances can cookies damage your device. Rather, when cookies are active this actually helps to identify and resolve potential errors.
Identification of cookies
In the text below, cookies are classified into various categories. It should nevertheless be noted that the same cookie may fall into more than one category.
Types of cookies based on the entity that manages them
The following cookies can be distinguished based on the entity that manages the device or domain from which the cookies are sent and processes the data obtained:
- Own cookies: cookies sent to the user’s terminal from a computer or domain managed by the editor itself, from which the service requested by the user is provided.
- Third-party cookies: cookies sent to the user’s terminal from a computer or domain that is not managed by the editor, but by another entity that processes the data obtained through the cookies.
In the event that cookies are installed from a computer or domain managed by the editor itself but the information collected by the cookies is managed by a third party, the cookies shall not be considered own cookies.
Types of cookies based on how long they remain active
Based on the period of time the cookies remain active on the terminal equipment, they can be categorised as follows:
- Session cookies: these are a type of cookie designed to collect and store data only while the user accesses a webpage. They are normally used to store information which is only of interest during provision of the service requested by the user, on one specific occasion (e.g., a list of acquired products).
- Persistent cookies: these are a type of cookie in which data remains stored on the terminal equipment and can be accessed and handled for a defined period by the manager of the cookie. This period can range from a few minutes to several years.
Types of cookies based on their purpose
The following types of cookies can be distinguished based on the purpose for which the data obtained through the cookies is used:
- Technical cookies: these are cookies that enable the user to navigate a website, platform or application and use various options or services offered therein, e.g., controlling traffic and communicating data, session ID, accessing restricted areas, remembering the individual components of an order, carrying out the purchase process for orders, processing requests for registration or participation in an event, using security elements during browsing, storing content for video or sound broadcasts or sharing content through social networks.
- Customisation cookies: these cookies enable the user to access the service with some general default settings taken from various settings on the user’s terminal, e.g., language, type of browser used to access the service, regional settings used to access the service, etc.
- Analysis cookies: these cookies enable their manager to monitor and analyse the behaviour of users of the websites to which the cookies are linked. The information collected by such cookies is used to measure activity on websites, applications or platforms and to create browsing profiles for their users in order to institute improvements through analysis of data relating to how users are employing the service.
- Third-party advertising cookies: these cookies enable advertising spaces to be managed as effectively as possible. These cookies store information on users’ behaviour obtained through continual observation of their browsing habits, enabling specific profiles to be developed in order to display advertising based on these habits.
Our Website uses own and third-party cookies which enable us to store and access information relating to the language and browser type used and other general default user settings, as well as to monitor and analyse users’ activities with the aim of improving and providing our services as efficiently and in as customised a manner as possible.
Madrid Destino does not collect or store your personal information (e.g., your name or address), which means that this information cannot be used to identify you.
Nevertheless, you can configure your browser to accept or reject cookies, or select which cookies to accept and which to reject, by following one of the procedures detailed below, depending on the browser used:
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
- Internet Explorer
- Internet Explorer (Windows Phone)
- Safari para IOS (iPhone y iPad)
- Chrome para Android
On its Website, Madrid Destino uses:
Storage and validity of session cookies is temporary, i.e., until the user ends the Website session. These cookies do not permanently record any information on your computer’s hard drive.
|cc_cookie_accept||esmadrid.com||1 year||This cookie enables us to know whether you have already been shown our Website’s Cookies Policy Notice, in order not to show it to you again.||level 1|
|_rails_session_esmadrid||esmadrid.com||1 year||This customisation cookie enables users to access the registered user zone.||level 1|
Specifically, Madrid Destino stores Google Analytics cookies on the user’s terminal. The user may opt out of being tracked using the opt-out facility provided by Google Analytics.
For more information: Google Analytics Cookie Usage on Websites.
|__utma||.esmadrid.com||2 years or update||This cookie keeps a log of the number of times a user has visited a site, when the first visit took place and when the last visit occurred.|
|__utmb||.esmadrid.com||30 minutes or update||This cookie helps calculate how long a user’s visit lasts by storing the time and date of access.||level 2|
|__utmc||.esmadrid.com||expires on end of session||This cookie helps calculate how long a user’s visit lasts by storing the time and date of exit from the site.||level 2|
|__utmz||.esmadrid.com||6 months or update||This cookie helps record traffic source or campaign information; it keeps a log of which search engine the visitor used, which links he or she clicked on, which keywords were used and from which area of the world the page was accessed.||level 2|
|__utmli||.esmadrid.com||2 years or update||These cookies create an anonymous user ID which is used to count the number of times a user visits the Website. It also keeps a record of the first and last times the user visited the Website. Similarly, it calculates when a session has ended, the user’s origin and the keywords used.||level 2|
Social network cookies
In particular, Madrid Destino uses AddThis, a plugin that enables the content of our Website to be shared on various social networks.
|uid||addthis.com||expires on end of session||Stores randomly generated letters and numbers. AddThis cookies enable users to share content through social media sites and email. When we supply links to third-party services that you find useful, they may place a cookie on your device to make their service easier to use.||level 2|
Cookies used by external content providers’ plugins
Cookies used by external content providers’ plugins are necessary to enable the user to access content or services provided by third parties, e.g., to view videos stored on YouTube, to view geographic locations in Google Maps or to offer you information on how many times the page of our Website you are viewing has been evaluated by Google+1. They are governed by the provisions of their respective cookies policies.
Google plugin cookies
Madrid Destino uses external Google plugins, which means that cookies will be sent.
The information collected by the external Google plugins on our Website, including the user’s IP address, may be sent to Google and stored on its servers. This information is managed exclusively by Google. These cookies do not identify the user personally unless he or she has an active Google session, in which case the information will be linked to the Google account.
For more information, consult: Types of cookies used by Google
Madrid Destino uses the Google Maps plugin to display geographic locations (our offices and other locations).
Some parts of the Madrid Destino Website show embedded YouTube videos. The cookies implemented by Google on any page containing a YouTube video are used to measure the number and behaviour of YouTube users, including information linking the visit to our Website to the user’s Google account in the event that there is an active session.
Madrid Destino uses the DoubleClick for Publishers (Google) platform to place notices and advertisements throughout the Website. These cookies are used to determine how people access our digital advertising campaigns. They enable us to discover and evaluate any clicks on our advertising in order to improve the service that you receive. To obtain more information on doubleclick cookies, visit:
Vimeo plugin cookies
Some of the pages of our Website contain embedded Vimeo videos. This service uses Google Analytics to monitor usage. To this end, it employs the same cookies described in the “Analysis Cookies” section: “__utma”, “__utmb”, “__utmc” and “__utmz”.
Levels of intrusion associated with the cookies we use
The cookies outlined above are associated with a “level of intrusion” criterion which rates them on a scale of 1 to 3, where:
- Level 1: is for cookies used internally as an essential component of provision of the service requested by the user.
- Level 2: is for anonymous cookies used internally which are necessary for content maintenance and navigation, as well as cookies managed by third parties within the context of services expressly requested by the user on the websites of said third parties (e.g., Social Facebook or Twitter plugins, embedded videos, maps).
- Level 3: is for cookies managed by third parties within the context of services not expressly requested by the user, enabling monitoring of said user via webpages not owned by Madrid Destino (e.g., graphic advertising management platforms). The owner shall be specified for cookies rated at this level. Use of level 3 cookies is only permitted following authorisation by the user, through express confirmation of his or her consent.
These lists are updated as quickly as possible as the services offered on the Website change or evolve. Occasionally during this update process, however, the list may not yet include a cookie, although such cookies shall always have the same purposes as those included in the lists.