Capilla de San Isidro

The Pontificia y Real Archicofradía Sacramental de San Pedro, San Andrés, San Isidro y de la Purísima Concepción is a charitable association made up of the former Sacramental Confraternities of Saint Peter the Royal and Saint Andrew, the Apostle, which joined and twinned  with the Saint Isidro and the Immaculate Conception Confraternities in 1587.

In 1673, the Arch Confraternity owned a property located at Number 1, Calle del Águila, where it had its headquarters and an oratory devoted to the worship of Saint Isidro the Labourer.  Legend has it that this place is where the Patron Saint of Madrid was born and spent his childhood.

The current Chapel forms part of the 1896 construction, which has undergone several refurbishments over the years, the last of which for its reopening to the public in 2018. Inside, there is a wonderful 18th century wooden carving of Saint Isidro, a beautiful  crucified Christ by the 19th century painter, Rafael Tegeo, and two rich Flemish tapestries, among other artistic treasures.

Each year, on 4 April, which commemorates the birth of Saint Isidro the Labourer, the presentation of the children of Madrid is held with a ceremony in which each child receives a print of the medal of Saint Isidro and an image of the Patron Saint with their personal details in memory of such a day.

There is also a space for prayer and reflection for the people of Madrid on the 4th of each month from 10am to 2pm, with a mass being held at 1pm.  If it falls on a Saturday, Sunday or Public Holiday, it is opened on the first working day.

Capilla de San Isidro
Capilla de San Isidro
Capilla de San Isidro
Capilla de San Isidro

Share on

Interest data


del Águila, 1
Tourist area: 
La Latina
Opening Times: 

4th of each month (opening is moved to the first working day if the 4th falls on a Saturday, Sunday or Public Holiday): 10am - 2pm

Mass will be held at 1pm on the day that the Chapel opens.

Tipo información turística: 
(+34) 913650841
La Latina (L5)
002, 3, 17, 18, 23, 35, 60