Fundación Fernando de Castro

This building, which was once the headquarters of the Asociación para la Enseñanza de la Mujer, was built between 1892 and 1893 to house this Institution, set up by Fernando de Castro to offer Spanish middle class women the chance to access effective academic and scientific teaching.

The building, constructed by architects Pablo Sánchez and Gerardo de la Puente, together with Manuel Ruiz de Quevedo, stands out from its surroundings in Madrid on account of its perfect combination of disparate languages such as the markedly academic eclecticism and the architecture of iron, which is pragmatic and sensitive to the nature of the materials, an aspect that can be enjoyed in the trapezoid courtyard. Its design and the choice of the surrounding area were not left to chance; indeed great attention was paid to light, ventilation and space.

Inside there is an important collection of characteristic late 19th Century furniture. 

Geolocation
Fundación Fernando de Castro
Fundación Fernando de Castro
Fundación Fernando de Castro
Servicios: 

Library

Share on

Interest data

Direction

Calle
de San Mateo, 15
28004
Touristic zone: 
Chueca
Telephone: 
(+34) 91 448 10 46
Web: 
http://www.fernandodecastro.org/edificio.htm
Metro: 
Alonso Martínez (L4, L5, L10)
Tribunal (L1, L10)
Bus: 
3, 37, 40, 149