Welcome to Madrid
Luis Mira, confectioner from Jijona, decided to try his luck in Madrid, setting up his first nougat business in 1842, on a stall in Plaza Mayor. His sweets were very popular and he became the supplier to the Royal Household during the reign of Isabel II, Amadeo de Saboya, Alfonso XII, the Regency of María Cristina and Alfonso XIII. The sixth generation of the Mira family still runs the establishment, which was founded in 1855 and is located in Carrera de San Jerónimo.
The success of its nougat and its other Christmas sweets lies in the high quality of the ingredients and traditional recipes.
The establishment remains unaltered since it was set up. It consists of a large quadrangular room whose walls are covered in mahogany and mirrors and its ceilings are covered in plaster decorated with floral motifs.
Casa Mira is the only mid-nineteenth century nougat factory that is still in business and today it is one of the most important nougat shops in Europe. It is so famous that it sends its products all over Spain and abroad.