Welcome to Madrid
Located in a building representative of 19th century industrial architecture, the Joaquín Leguina Regional Library was created in 1989 to become the first bibliographic centre in the Community of Madrid’s Library System , whereby its mission is to bring together, conserve and spread Madrid’s bibliographic heritage as well as printed material or that produced by any procedure or on any medium in Madrid and/or its Community.
With a surface area of 12,075 square metres, the library is divided into eight floors. As it is a centre for the conservation of bibliographic heritage, there is no borrowing service, so its archives, located in deposits, must be consulted inside the facilities.
The building was constructed to plans by the German engineer, Langeloth, and under the technical management of the architect, Jimenez Corera. In 1900, it was opened as “El Águila” brewery , closed in 1985. Following its refurbishment by the architects, Emilio Tuñón and Luis Mansilla, it was turned into a library, which forms part of the El Aguila Complex.