Welcome to Madrid
Founded in 1845 and located close to the Plaza de España, this is one of Madrid's oldest secondary schools. Originally called the Instituto del Noviciado, eminent professors such as Nicolás Salmerón and Francisco Giner de los Ríos have taught here, as well as other famous intellectuals of the time.
In 1877, the old building was demolished and this new one was constructed, including features such as the Imperial marble staircase, illuminated by stained glass windows decorated with fretwork and Cardinal Cisneros' coat of arms. After 1857, for years it had a Botanical Garden, in the University gardens, with plants brought from Madrid's Botanical Garden, from Vivero de la Villa and from the Royal Heritage of Aranjuez.