This is one of Madrid’s oldest churches. The construction is already listed in the Code of Laws from 1202. The contemporary building is the result of several reforms and additions that have been constructed over the years.
The oldest part is probably the Mudejar tower that may well have been built in the mid-14th century. Made in brick, the church has a simple decoration with horseshoe arches on the windows. Next to the tower there is a Renaissance style front that Tormo has dated back to 1525.
Once inside, the first element that stands out is the fluted front of the epistle apse which could have been created in the 15th century. The main apse and the three naves date back to the first half of the 17th century, when the temple was reformed following orders from the Archbishop of Brindisi, Lorenzo Reinoso. The left nave apse accommodates a chapel founded by Francisco Luján in the 16th century. Luján’s brother, Friar Antonio de Luján, Bishop of Mondoñedo, was buried within although his remains have been moved to the National Archaeology Museum.