Welcome to Madrid
Located in the central La Latina district, it's one of the oldest churches in Madrid. Legend tells that it was regularly visited by saints Isidro Labrador and María de la Cabeza, parishioners of the church, where the former was buried. The home of its patron Iván de Vargas, was constructed next to it, on which the palace of the Marquises of Paredes was built, which has now been reconstructed and converted into a municipal museum.
The church, which stands on the site on which there used to be a primitive Christian temple in Islamic Madrid, was destroyed and reconstructed several times until it was burnt in 1936, at the beginning of the Civil War, losing all of its artworks and preserving only the exterior. The inside was rebuilt (1986-90) by architects J. Vellés, M. Casariego and F. Posada, who employed a detailed research process to enable them to produce a reconstruction resembling the original as closely as possible.
San Isidro Chapel, built in the 16th century to house the Saint’s remains, is adjacent to the Church.