Royal Palace


Please note

  • The Changing the guard is still being held on Wednesdays and Saturdays, weather permitting, but the Solemn changing the guard has been temporarily suspended due to the pandemic.
     
  • New! Mirador de la Cornisa observation deck: Right between the Royal Palace and La Almudena Cathedral, you’ll find a new observation deck offering stunning views of the Campo del Moro Gardens and the Casa del Campo Park. This new attraction has been built as part of the refurbishment being carried out in the area to welcome the Museum of Royal Collections which is set to open in 2022. Entry to the observation deck is through any of the five gates of the wrought-iron fence that was originally built in 1899 by the architect Enrique Repullés Segarra to enclose the palace. The Mirador is open every day from 12 noon to 10pm and access is free of charge. Visitors must be sure to follow social distancing measures at all times.       

Home to the Kings of Spain from Charles III to Alfonso XIII, Madrid's Royal Palace takes us on a journey through the history of Spain. Though it is no longer the royal family's home, it continues to be their official residence.

Long before Madrid became the capital of Spain, Emir Mohamed I chose Magerit (the city's Arabic name) as the site for a fortress to protect Toledo from the advancing Christians. The building was eventually used by the Kings of Castille until finally becoming what would be known as the Antiguo Alcázar (Old Fortress) in the 14th century. Charles I and his son Philip II turned the building into a permanent residence for the Spanish royal family. However, in 1734 a fire burnt the Palace of Los Austrias to the ground, and Philip V ordered the construction of the palace that stands today.

Following the untimely death of Filippo Juvara, the architect originally commissioned to design the palace, it was his pupil Juan Bautista Sachetti who eventually drew up the final plans. Seventeen years passed between the laying of the first stone in 1738 and final completion of the work commissioned by Philip V. However, it was Charles III (known as the "Mayor of Madrid" due to the large number of reforms and initiatives that he undertook in the city) who became the first monarch to occupy the new building. His successors Charles IV (responsible for the creation of the Hall of Mirrors) and Ferdinand VII added many decorative details and furnishings, such as clocks, items of furniture and chandeliers.

The palace, inspired by sketches made by Bernini for the construction of the Louvre in Paris, is built in the form of a square and looks out over a large courtyard with galleries and a parade ground. The decoration of the palace's rooms and their layout has gradually changed over the years as the building has been adapted to suit the needs of its residents.

It comprises over 3000 rooms, including: the Main Staircase, designed by Sabatini with over 70 steps; the Throne Hall featuring a ceiling painted by Tiepolo; the Hall of Halberdiers, which Charles III turned into the Guards Room; the Gasparini Room, with its grand 18th century decoration on a floral theme; the Royal Chemist's with natural medicine cabinets, ceramic pots made by the La Granja factory, and even prescriptions given to members of the royal family; and the Royal Chapel, which is home to a collection of string instruments made by the legendary Antonio Stradivari.

The Royal Armoury and the Painting Gallery

The Royal Armoury is one of the most significant collections of its kind, housing weapons and armour worn by the kings of Spain and other members of the royal family since the 13th century. The Painting Gallery is home to a large number of artistic treasures, including Virgin with Child by Luis Morales, Portrait of Isabella the Catholic by Juan de Flandes, Salome with the Head of John the Baptist by Caravaggio and works by such artists as Velázquez, Goya, Federico Madrazo and Sorolla.

La Real Cocina del Palacio Real

The Royal Kitchen

Reopened in October 2017 after a major renovation, the palace’s splendid Real Cocina are the oldest well-preserved kitchens of a European royal residence, notable for their size and the excellent state of their accessories. They occupy a large part of the first basement and their current appearance is the result of the redecoration ordered by Queen Isabella II and Alfonso XII between 1861 and 1880.

Changing of the Guard

Don’t miss the Changing the guard (held on Wednesdays and Saturdays, weather permitting) and the magnificent Solemn changing the guard, which takes place on the first Wednesday of each month, weather permitting (except January, August and September).
Please note that the Solemn changing the guard has been temporarily suspended due to the pandemic.

Geolocation
Vista aérea Palacio Real © Patrimonio Nacional
Palacio Real
Mirador de la Cornisa del Palacio Real
Ala de Bailén del Palacio Real
Salón Gasparini del Palacio Real de Madrid
Palacio Real
Real Cocina del Palacio Real de Madrid
Servicios: 

Pay car parking

Audioguides

Cafeteria

Lockers / Cloakroom

Information points

Restaurant

Guided tours

Shop

Accesibility

Physical Accesibility
Up

Wheelchairs available for people with reduced mobility.

Toilets adapted for people with reduced mobility.

 

Share on

Interest data

Direction

Calle
de Bailén , s/n
28013
Tourist area: 
Austrias
Opening Times: 

Winter (October to March)

Mon to Sat: 10am-6pm
Sun and public hols: 10am-4pm

Summer (April to September)

Mon to Sat: 10am-7pm
Sun and public hols: 10am-4pm

Please note last admission to the Palace is an hour before closing time.

Royal Kitchen: 10.15am-5pm (October to March) and 10.15am-7pm (April to September)

Gardens: 10am-8pm

Closing days: all day on 1 and 6 Jan, 1 May and 25 Dec. Open only from 5.30pm on 12 Oct and only till 3pm on 24 and 31 Dec.

Tipo información turística: 
Telephone: 
(+34) 91 454 88 00
Email: 
info@patrimonionacional.es
Web: 
https://www.patrimonionacional.es/real-sitio/palacio-real-de-madrid
Metro: 
Ópera (L2, L5, R)
Plaza de España (L2, L3, L10)
Local train (Cercanías): 
Madrid-Sol
Bus: 
3, 25, 39, 46, 62, 75, 138, 148, C1, C2, SE712, N16, N18, N19, N20
Price: 

See the official webpage for all prices 

Free admission: Monday to Thursday, from 4pm to 6pm in winter and from 5pm to 7pm in summer, for EU citizens, residents, and holders of work permits in the EU, and citizens of Ibero-American countries. Please note that you will be asked to show proof of concession.