The young married couple who run the tavern have updated the menu while preserving the traditional setting. Old and new are perfectly combined in this premises located in a privileged spot facing two of Madrid’s most significant buildings, the Palacio Real and Almudena Cathedral. Built in 1886, this was once a traditional tavern called Casa Pedro Martinez, which used to serve old-fashioned coffee, eau-de-vie and tea. In 1909, it was handed over to Luis Montón who patented the wine brands of “El Viejo”, “Los Viejos” and “El Anciano Rey”, which is where the tavern got its name, and, as it happens they still sell the dry and sweet versions. During the Republican era, the word “REY” (which means “king”) had to be erased from the sign out front and from the tables.