Juan Gómez de Mora was the architect who carried out the design of this building and designed the convent church, its construction began in 1640 by Jerome Lazarus Goiti. The complex, located in Lavapies, had an overall renovation in 1732. Subsequently, it was about to disappear with Secularism and suffered a lot with the Revolution of 1868.
Later, the main palace architect José Segundo de Lema made several alterations, such as the construction in 1876 of a house for the rector and two chaplains and a free school in a separate building, and in 1879, he designed the overall renovation project executed by his assistant Enrique Repullés Segarra.
Following the Civil War the monastery was in ruins, and the church was completely stripped of its ornamentation. Between 1941 and 1946 part of the whole project was rebuilt with Diego Mendez and José Yarnoz Larrosa.In 1964 José del Río planned a partial reform and reconstruction that was directed by Ramón Andrada.
The church has a Latin cross of reduced dimensions. It consists of three well-integrated spaces; the single nave, great crucifix of octagonal form and flat head. The crucifix is covered with a large dome on scallops and large chamfered piers, which host the corner niches with altars.