Situated in Chueca, the old Colegio de las Escuelas Pías de San Antón (occupying an old leprosy hospital) is now the LASEDE of the Colegio Oficial de Arquitectos de Madrid, since being reformed by the architect Gonzalo Moure in 2012.
A multifunctional space which houses the new COAM headquarters, the Architecture Foundation, the Architecture Institute, postgraduate education centres, the library, the History Service, an exhibition hall and a shop. It also offers 8,000sqm of community facilities and public spaces, including an indoor pool, playschool, senior centre, music school, terrace,multifunctional event spaces, a showroom and a 466-space carpark.
The San Antón church from the old hospital, built by Pedro de Ribera in 1753, still stands. However, the large refurbishment was conducted by the architect Francisco deRivas between 1794 and 1832, to adapt it for its new function as a school and the church shows the Baroque decoration typical of the architect. The feast of Saint Anthony (17 January) is still celebrated, where animals are blessed and "panecillos" of the saint are sole.
The exterior of the building stands out thanks to its facade, designed by Ventura Rodríguez, known as Fuente de los Delfines (Fountain of the Dolphins), built between 1770 and 1772, refurbished in 1900 and situated on the corner between calles Hortaleza and Santa Brígada.