The Ministry of Culture is responsible for this building, formerly the tobacco factory. A cultural venue in the Lavapiés district, very close to other cultural centres, such as the Prado Museum, the Reina Sofía Museum, the Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum and La Casa Encendida.
It was built between 1780 and 1792, as part of the royal policy to transform the city and set up Royal Factories in the south east of Madrid. Originally it was to be the Royal Factory of Spirits and Playing Cards but in 1809 it became the Factory of Tobacco and Snuff, continuing to be used for tobacco production until the late twentieth century.
Currently the building is divided into two sections. One hosts exhibitions and activities organised by the Ministry of Culture's Sub-directorate General for Fine Arts, focusing mainly on photography, contemporary art and the visual arts. The other section has been ceded by the Ministry to La Tabacalera de Lavapiés Self-managed Social Centre, where a variety of cultural activities take place.