El Jardín Botánico Complutense is a botanical garden located in the Ciudad Universitaria campus, between the Pharmacy and Biology faculties. It is dedicated to botanical education, teaching, and research, and covers an area of 50,000 m2 with over eight hundred botanical species.
A large avenue runs through the park, lined with typical Mediterranean species. Two pathways lead off this main avenue, one dedicated to bushes from the Iberian Peninsula, and the other to conifers. There is also a large central circus area with a vegetable garden featuring native species, and an area dedicated to medicinal plants. In addition, there is an expanse of water out of which a geyser emerges.
The garden has an education department that provides guided tours of the park and also offers explanations about the Museum of the Comparative Anatomy of Vertebrates and the Museum of Ethnobotany, both of which are located within the Biology Faculty.
This garden was part of the huge plan to develop the Ciudad Universitaria campus, which first emerged under the reign of King Alfonso XIII in 1928.