This was the first hospital in Spain dedicated to homoeopathy and was built using public funds between 1874 and 1878, under the management of architect José Segundo de Lema. It is a U-shaped building (a central body with two lateral pavilions), with four wards and a roofed convalescence room.
It measures 3,835 m2 and was declared a Place of Cultural Interest by Decree of 30 January 1997. The hospital was opened on 2 February 1878, and was the first modern building in the Chamberí District. During the Spanish Civil War, the building was emptied and used as a field hospital and to prepare food for inhabitants of Madrid. Following Franco's entry, it housed a Falange company and a unit of Moorish troops.
Lack of means led activities to focus on tending to the sick, with training being left to one side, along with building maintenance. This led to closure of the main building in 1980, and transfer of the elderly people living there to a Hijas de la Caridad residence in Buitrago de Lozoya.
When it was declared a Place of Cultural Interest in the category Monument in 1997, the Autonomous Community of Madrid was driven to reconstruct it. The works finished in 2008, on the 125th anniversary of the building. The Hospital has an important bibliographical collection on homoeopathy.