As a result of the popularity of the game pelota in the late 19th century, a frontón (pelota court) was built in Madrid to play host to these sporting events. Joaquín Rucoba, whose architectural works include the Teatro Arriaga and Town Hall in Bilbao, and the bullring and Alfonso XII market in Malaga, was responsible for this construction in 1893, since he had also built a similar frontón in San Sebastian.
The works were completed the following year and the building was opened on 29 April 1894, in the Chamberí district. With capacity for 4,000 spectators, it closed in 1919 and canopies were built on the open court, to be used as a car park. In 1991, it was declared a Place of Cultural Interest under the category of Monument, being the only frontón still standing in Madrid.