In 1903, there were 449 hairdressers and barbershops in Madrid. It was at this crowded moment in the sector, on February 13th, 1907, that Manuel Felipe Berejano opened his men’s barbershop. It was located in the central neighbourhood of Chueca, in a building constructed in 1856.
Until it was replaced with an electrical system, the shop’s lighting scheme was based on the use of carbide or acetylene gas lamps, placed in front of mirrors to enhance their glow. In 1951, a neighbourhood furrier, Jesús Gutiérrez Sevillano, took over the business, with a license granting him permission to operate five chairs.
Three barbers were employed at the shop: Jesús’ in-laws the Ortega brothers and Agustín Urbano. Urbano eventually took over the barbershop, and can still be found working there today along with his two sons, Miguel Ángel and José Luis.