The wool and haberdashers store El Gato Negro started out in 1880 in Plaza del Pilar in Valencia, and in 1915 it moved to Calle de La Paz in Madrid. Four years later it settled permanently in an attractive shop with entrances on both Plaza Mayor and Calle de la Sal., which has become one of the most traditional and authentic spots in the city.
The shop has since become one of the city’s most traditional and authentic premises. The space has a total of 920 square metres filled with imagination, creativity and lots of colours for any petit point or crochet need. During the 1990s the business started spinning and making its own wool, always following the prevailing trends in every season.
Hanks, skeins, needles, hair pins and other accessories, cushions, carpets, patterns, handicrafts and magazines are presented in a window which is sometimes close to being a work of art and has been awarded several prizes.